Here I promote links to and present code snips for Matlab scrips, Python scrips, and Maxima. Matlab is often used for scientific computing and combines an IDE and an easy to learn interpreter language. Instead you can use SciPy, which is an open-source Python library. If you only need a computer algebra system, then give Maxima a try.
Maxima is a computer algebra system and WxMaxima a good user interface.
- Download: http://andrejv.github.io/wxmaxima/
- A 10-min tutorial: http://math-blog.com/2007/06/04/a-10-minute-tutorial-for-solving-math-problems-with-maxima/
If you are already using Python, then try SymPy instead. In combination with a GUI like Spyder and IPython, SymPy is more powerful than Maxima.
SciPy (Python) for Matlab Users
SciPy is a a "Python-based ecosystem of open-source software for mathematics, science, and engineering".
- Here you find some key differences between programming in Matlab and in NumPy/SciPy.
- Getting started with Python for science
- Learn Python in 10 minutes
- iPython is an interactive shell
- Spyder is an interactive development environment
- SumPy is a library for symbolic mathematics.
- There are no resource at the moment.